Sunday, June 04, 2017

“The Definitive Film Noir”

 

 

By David in TN
Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 10:18:00 A.M. EDT

On Sunday, June 4, at 10 a.m. ET on TCM, our friend Eddie Muller presents what he calls “the definitive film noir,” Out of the Past (1947).

 

Jane Greer and Robert Mitchum
 

Robert Mitchum plays a man with a dark past who owns a small-town gas station. A hood from his previous life stumbles into his establishment. From there, Mitchum's character gets in deeper and deeper.

N.S.: I apologize for not posting this on time, David. I thought I had.

Over 40 years after watching this, I recalled a scene with Mitchum and stunning, voluptuous, Rhonda Fleming. She works in a fancy shop, and he’s trying to get some information out of her. He squeezes her shoulder, and she responds, “That hurts… but I like it.”

 


 

1 comment:

David In TN said...

I watched Out of the Past on my DVR a few nights ago. Eddie Muller had Robert Mitchum's son, Christopher, as a guest. After the showing, Eddie Muller asked Christopher Mitchum if there was a competition between his father and Kirk Douglas. Chris Mitchum answered:

"My father regarded Kirk Douglas as a pompous ass. Kirk would tell the crew what to do. My father had no tolerance for that."

Eddie then said, "Your father had a reputation for everybody equal on the set."

On Sunday, June 11, at 10 am ET, the Film Noir is Phantom Lady (1944). Ella Raines, Franchot Tone, Alan Curtis, and Thomas Gomez star. Raines plays a gutsy secretary trying to save her employer from dying in the electric chair.