Saturday, September 20, 2014

Michael Savage Has a Mental Disorder

By A Seattle Reader

I was reading old entries on your website and saw the one asking if Michael Savage had a mental problem. (Actually, I used to say that liberalism was a mental disease long before I had ever heard of Savage.) Yes, Savage definitely has a few screws loose, the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor, and he is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

I stopped listening to Savage on a regular basis years ago, during the time of Bush the Second. Savage was wildly inconsistent, alternately condemning Bush and then supporting him--by that time I was completely disgusted with Bush. Savage seems incapable of holding consistent, logical opinions--his views seem to fluctuate wildly from day to day.

Also, Savage, who claims to have advanced degrees in the medical field (epidemiology I think), once talked about the virus causing Mad Cow Disease. Incredible, when anyone paying attention knows the disease is attributed to prions which, unlike a virus, cannot be killed by cooking.

I noticed that Savage's show often consisted of reading the headlines on sites like Drudge or WND--I recognized them because I had read the articles myself that morning. Unfortunately, I found that Savage's inaccurate comments on the pieces showed that he had not actually read the articles--apparently just the headlines. Perhaps this could explain how he thought Zimmerman was guilty of manslaughter--or, as you say, it could just be that he deliberately takes contrary positions. This could be an attempt to get attention or maybe he has a need to feel superior to other conservatives.

In any case, I can no longer take Savage seriously. I note that Mark Levin despises him and often mocks him. However, Savage has said a few amusing things. I remember him calling the Third World the Turd World. Savage denied he ever said that, but I heard him say it at least three times, and I don't think it was due to a speech impediment. I also had to laugh when he said that San Francisco used to be a big navy town, but now there was a Rear Admiral on every street corner.

I think that with your relentless honesty and unshakeable courage you would make a compelling talk show host. But I suppose I'll just have to wait for your autobiography. My favorite novelist, Willa Cather, wrote that the secret of great artists was safe because it cannot be faked: passion. And that is the ingredient which would make your talk show or autobiography a success.
 

N.S. responds: Thank you for your kind words. I am humbled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Given that Michael Savage has been on the air for decades I suppose you can find inconsistency in his comments a whole bunch of times. For anyone else for that matter.


What matters most is that his mind and heart are in the right place.